Step-by-step Google SEO guide: How to do search engine optimization for beginners!
Our “SEO for beginners” guide is the perfect solution for all the bloggers and business owners trying to establish their presence online. This step-by-step guide is basically a map that will help you find your way in the maze called SEO marketing!
Because no matter how good your product or service is; the truth is that you can only sell it to the audience if you are visible enough. SEO marketing helps you improve the online visibility of your website by ranking it higher in the search engine result pages. Further, the best thing about SEO is that it is completely organic in nature i.e. it’s free-of-cost (unlike Pay-per-click marketing which requires you to spend money in exchange of clicks).
Definition of SEO
According to Wikipedia, “Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of improving the quality and quantity of website traffic to a website or a web page from search engines. SEO marketing targets unpaid traffic (known as ‘natural’ or ‘organic’ results) rather than direct traffic or paid traffic.
SEO or search engine optimization as it stands for, is nothing but ‘the process or practice of improving/optimizing your website, which in turn, increases the quality and quantity of traffic through organic or unpaid search engine results.’
In simple terms, SEO or search engine optimization is nothing but the organic process through which you can ‘rank’ your website higher in the ‘search engine result pages (SERPs).
Now whatever be the definition, one thing that we can say for sure is that SEO marketing will greatly boost your online website by diverting organic traffic and generating fresh leads for your business.
WHY IS SEO IMPORTANT?
As I mentioned before, SEO marketing is nothing but the art of organically ranking your website higher in the search engine result pages, and that’s probably why it’s so important!
After all, the first 5 search engine results for any given keyword take away more than 60% of user clicks; meaning, you either rank in the first page or you don’t rank at all! Because the chances of someone scrolling through the second or third page of Google, and clicking on your website are as bleak as you finding a needle in a haystack!
Although SEO takes way more effort and time as compared to ppc (pay per click) ads; however, you can’t overlook the fact it will help you to:
- Generate quality traffic: When you want to attract users to your website, you don’t just want anybody to visit your page. For example, imagine that you want to sell hardware products, but the people visiting your website are more interest in buying hardwood products. Thus, in this case, generating quality traffic becomes an extremely important task, which is why many companies hire SEO specialists.
- Build an online brand presence: SEO marketing, when executed properly, can prove to be a huge boon for a business. SEO strategies can help you to improve your brand value in the market and create brand awareness in front of the masses. You can improve your brand presence through SEO by mixing it with quality content strategies.
- It is free-of-cost: Unlike pay-per-click marketing (PPC marketing), which requires you to give money to the search engines in exchange of clicks; SEO marketing helps you to organically rank higher in the search engine result pages.
TYPES OF SEO
The definition of SEO (search engine optimization) may sound quite simple but the process is nothing short of ‘complicated’. After all, SEO is not only an extremely complex process but also a time-consuming one, which is why most of the businesses hire a SEO specialist to assist them.
However, in order to simplify the complex SEO marketing process for you, we have created this simple Google SEO guide. This guide will provide you with a basic idea of the 3 major types of SEO that you can perform to rank higher in the SERPs (search engine result pages) and improve your website traffic.
Any strategic changes that you make on your website to optimize and rank it higher in the SERPs (search engine result pages) can be termed as On-page SEO. Further, On-page SEO not only includes changes to the website’s HTML source code but also to the content published on it. There are a number of on-page strategies that can improve your website’s rankings, such as:
- Quality of content: One of the most important factors that every search engine gauges while allotting the rankings is your website’s content quality. The quality of content posted on your website should not only be helpful to the user but also SEO optimized for the web crawlers. Your content should not only be linkable but also meet the demands of the reader.
- Must include Alt descriptions: ‘Alt description’, ‘Image alt text’, as well as ‘alt tags’ are all but the different terms used to describe one thing. Alt descriptions are the text copies that appear instead of an image on a website, when the users are unable to load the original images. Further, an alt tag also helps the visually impaired readers by allowing them to make use of various screen-reading tools. Alt descriptions are also used as an important SEO marketing
- Title tags: In layman’s terms, title tags are the outer packaging of a product (like biscuit) that helps you to understand the contents inside of it. Similarly, Title tags in your website will help you rank higher in the SERPs; as it helps the search engines to understand the content inside your web-page better, and thus show results accordingly. Therefore, one must make sure that the title tags used in ones HTML code is precise and to-the-point.
Other than that, you must also conduct keyword research, key phrase research (phrases that people use), internal linking, Urls, canonicalization, etc.
Unlike the on-page strategies which are focused on the website, Off-page SEO marketing is any activity that you perform outside your website, to improve its domain authority and ranking in the SERPs. Thus, off-page SEO involves performing external activities that will improve your website’s ranking and generate traffic (or leads). The various Off-page SEO strategies that can improve your website’s traffic are:
- Link Building is important: When talking about Off-page SEO marketing, link building is probably the first thing that will come to your mind (if you have read about this topic earlier). However, more than often, people wrongly assume that off-page SEO and link building are the same things. But the truth is far from that, because link building is ‘a part of Off-page SEO’ and thus, both of them are not the same. A few tactics that you can use to build some quality links are guest posting on high DA websites, broken link building, paid promotions, linkable mentions, etc.
- Social media sharing: One of the most important techniques used in Off-page SEO is undoubtedly social media sharing. Social media sharing is nothing but sharing your website link on the various social media handles. Although this doesn’t directly affect your SERPs ranking; however, it results in potential re-sharing of your website link, which could drive some essential traffic. This in turn, will help you improve your website ranking in SERPs.
Other than that, you can also make use of these Off-page SEO marketing tactics: Adding an RSS feed box on your website, posting forums, pdf and video submissions, blog commenting, etc.
Optimization of any non-content or backend element of your website can be termed as technical SEO. Technical SEO is extremely important; as search engines scrutinize every detail, and only then determine your SERPs rankings.
Thus, no matter how beautiful your website UI/UX looks, it is worthless if it’s not properly optimized according to the search engine’s guidelines. There are a number of technical SEO tactics that you can use to improve your rank and drive traffic, such as: your website’s page speed, schemas, robot.txt, security, etc.